Wednesday, July 15, 2009

He's baaaack, plus some other games that mean something



Yes, David Beckham (perhaps distantly related to the chap above?) is indeed back in MLS for as long as his interest holds. My interest in this whole thing, on the other hand, faded about the time he decided he'd phone in the last few months of the 2008 season before creating more drama (as is his custom) in Milan.

I have not read Grant Wahl's book, though I might at some point of course as it's always interesting to see how teams not named Dynamo self-destruct. But from what I have read, I do think Landon Donovan, though he probably should have kept this all quiet until after Becksy was gone for good, was right about the so-called captain deserting the team.

I have not been a Beckham hater, as I have always appreciated his skill and enjoy watching him play when he's at his best, but really, at this point, I don;t see that he has much to offer MLS. He will produce at Galaxy this season, right up to the point that he wants to get back to Milan, which I think will be when he plays in Kansas City or Denver or some other MLS backwater in a league that is not rigged like Serie A.

Whatever. This drama can only help other teams in the western conference, and since Dynamo is in that conference, I am all for it.

So, on to this week's predictions:

Last week: 2-4
Season: 52-64 (.448, 13 games over random chance)

GALAXY at RED BULL NEW YORK. 3-1 LA Come on. Give me a real game. New York is a dead team walking and Becks is out to prove himself after the Wahl book and Donovan and the non-captaincy and all that. The writing is on the wall. However, if NY were to pull this off, it would be an upset for the ages, and, let's face, a typical New York sporting moment. But while my anarchic heart says New York, I have seen that team play recently, and my head says to my heart, "Whoa Podnah. Wait until High Noon Saturday." Speaking of which....

DYNAMO at TORONTO. Orange 2-1. National TV. Chance at redemption after that amazingly bad call on the line last week. Bonus round of the Kei Kamara and his pals vs. Nick Garcia grudge match. I'm going Dynamo on this one. Let me hear ya say: "Dale."

The following three games I definitely will not be watching as the US MNT play at the exact same time. This madness must end. It's as simple as that.

RAPIDS at DC UNITED. 2-0 DCU. Sorry. Still not a big believer in the Crapids. DCU holds serve at home on this one. Did you see that Danny Szetela might sign with DC? Right now, I think they will win the east.

REAL SALT LAKE at CREW. 2-0 Columbus. I know the Crew have been oddly inconsistent this season, but RSL is a horrible road team and the Crew are good. This is an easy prediction to make.

EARTHQUAKES at FIRE. 2-1 Chicago. Trembles easily quelled by Chicago, though San Jose might just make this close. Don't ask me why. I know they suck. I've just got a feeling.

las chivitas at REVOLUTION. 2-1 Amerigoats New England is missing so many guys this season, I almost expect to see them holding open tryouts throughout the Metrowest area. What a snakebit team. Chivas, on the other hand, is finally coming down to Earth after their sizzling start. Still, LA's other team should have more than enough to secure this win.

No comments: